Mental health is one of the most important aspects of our well being. Suffering from mental health disorders can be detrimental to our overall health. There are numerous treatment options available, but options like prescription medications can cause harmful side effects.
Fortunately, there is an all-natural treatment that may help you with your mental health. You’ve probably come across the extravagant promotion of Cannabidiol (CBD). This non-psychoactive compound derived from the cannabis plant has the potential to treat many mental health disorders.
It is currently available in various forms – oils, vape, creams, tinctures, or gummies. One can find these in any weed shop near you. CBD products help you get relief from the symptoms associated with mental health problems. Unlike the medications, it has no side effects.
Could this miracle compound help you? Read on to discover more.
1. CBD can reduce Anxiety and Depression
Anxiety is one of the normal biological responses when your brain senses any danger. But if a person persistently experiences worry, fear, or emotional distress, then anxiety can gradually become a mental disorder. CBD is proven to help with anxiety (1). It helps to calm the mind, reduce overthinking, promote emotional stability, and reduce blood pressure.
Unlike anxiety, depression is very complex. This mental disorder can wear many masks and can go unnoticed for quite some time. The two main symptoms include persistent low moods and loss of interest in things you once enjoyed. Fortunately, the therapeutic effects of CBD can help relieve depression (2). CBD boosts the serotonin levels and manipulates the brain receptors to induce emotional and mental stability.
2. CBD can promote better sleep quality
A well-rested mind is a major sign of good mental health. A stressed mind often leads to sleeplessness. Many people suffering from mental health disorders have a difficult time dealing with a lack of restful sleep. Fortunately, CBD can help them in restoring their sleep cycles.
Since CBD is effective in calming anxiety, it has promising results in silencing the racing thoughts that keep you awake at night. CBD helps reduce REM sleep duration (3), which reduces stress and results in better sleep quality. It can also reduce the incidence of nightmares to promote deep sleep.
3. CBD can help overcome addictions
Mental health disorders and behavioral issues often culminate in psychological over-dependence on a substance or activity, commonly referred to as an addiction. The most common form of addiction is substance use disorder, where the victim is addicted to substances like alcohol, nicotine, or drugs.
Experts believe that CBD products can help people overcome their addictions. It has the potential to reduce craving and relapse in abstinent substance users (4). It can also help to induce focus and determination and clear the mind, which is vital for tackling addiction.
Before you start any CBD supplement regimen, it’s always wise to consult with your physician. However, if you suffer from any of the above conditions, you may find CBD products to offer much-needed relief.
- Esther M. Blessing, Maria M. Steenkamp, et al. Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders, (2015) 12:825–836. DOI 10.1007/s13311-015-0387-1.
- Gabriela Pandini Silote, Ariandra Sartim, et al. Emerging evidence for the antidepressant effect of cannabidiol and the underlying molecular mechanisms, 2019 Jul;98:104-116. doi: 10.1016/j.jchemneu.2019.04.006.
- Yi-Tse Hsiao, Pei-Lu Yi, et al. Effect of cannabidiol on sleep disruption induced by the repeated combination tests consisting of open field and elevated plus-maze in rats, 2012 Jan;62(1):373-84. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropharm.2011.08.013.
- Yann Chye, Erynn Christensen, et al. The Endocannabinoid System and Cannabidiol’s Promise for the Treatment of Substance Use Disorder, 2019 Feb 19;10:63. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00063.