Everybody loves Sleeping but can anyone define the exact reason why we sleep? No you can’t. Don’t worry, experts and scientists are still blank today when it comes to sleeping reason. It has always been concluded that Sleeping is a natural periodic state of rest for the mind and body, in which the eyes are usually close and consciousness is completely or partially lost, so that there is a decrease in bodily movement and responsiveness to external stimuli”
Well, actually sleeping in basic is a way to re-energize the body after working, staying awake and doing some activities in the day.
Apart from this, do you know that there are few strange Sleeping Facts that you don’t know? lets see the facts starting with..
- We can Survive Longer without food rather than sleeping
Most People can Survive for up to 2 Months without Eating, but people can only Live up to 11 days without sleeping.
- Humans spend a third(25 years or more) of their life sleeping
- We Sleep Less during Full moon night
Around the time of full moon, brain activity related to deep sleep dropped by 30% and we take 5 minutes longer to sleep than what we would have done on normal daysFull moon night
- Giraffes Sleep average of only 1.9 hours per day
The Giraffe has one of the shortest sleep requirements of any mammals, which is between 10 minutes and 2 hours in a 24-hour period, averaging 1.9 hours per day.
- Not Enough or Too much Sleep = Early death
People whose normal nighty sleep duration is either unusually short (less than 4 hours) or unusually long (more than 9 or 10 hours) have a higher than average risk of dying prematurely.
- Lack of Sleep can cause Weight Gain of 2 Pounds (0.9 Kg) in under a Week
- The Seattle Children’s Research Institute found that three to five-years-old children who watched violent shows on TV were more likely to develop sleep problems.
- Koalas Sleeping up to 22 hours a day
Koalas are the longest-sleeping mammals sleeping about 19 to 22 hours a day mainly because their diet is so energy poor.
- A Snoring Partner wakes his Non-Snoring partner an average of 20 times per night, with an average sleep loss of one hour a day.
- Brain is better during Sleep.
- Upon five minutes of waking, 50% of a dream is forgotten and within 10 minutes, 90% of it is forgotten.
- It’s Impossible to Sneeze while Sleeping.
- Counting Sheep is No Way to Get Sleep
After researching, it was found that those who imagined and counted sheep slept later than those who imagined Calmer things.Sheep
- Snoring can become worse after drinking Alcohol.
Alcohol has a direct depressant effect on the tongue and other muscles in the throat, which narrows the upper airway space and make your snoring worse.
- Japan’s Sleep at Work Culture
Sleeping at work is so common in Japan, as it’s viewed as Exhaustion from working hard and they have defined certain Rules for sleeping during work.
- Only one half of a Dolphin’s brain goes to sleep
Dolphins are capable of UniHemispheric sleep, in which one hemisphere of the brain goes into a deep sleep while other hemisphere remains awake which allows them to sleep under water without drowning.
- Record for longest time with no Sleep
The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses.
- An estimated eight out of ten blind people have sleeping problems.
- Late-Night Work Heightens chances of Cancer.
- You Burn More Calories Sleeping than you do watching Television.
- Parents of New Born Babies Loss 6 Months of Sleep in First 2 years of their child’s life.
- The Occurrence of Nightmares could be due to Heart Conditions, Migraine, Sleep Deprivation and Beta Blockers.
- Rabbits often sleep with their Eyes Open.
- Women experience significantly more nightmares than men and have more emotional dreams, a research found.
- Neuroscientistis belive Babes don’t Dream for the first few years of their life.
- Horses can Sleep Standing.
- An Experiment in 1998 found that a Bright Light shone on the Backs of Human knees can Reset the Brain’s Sleep-Wake Clock.
- Some Deaf people make Sign Language in their Sleep.
- Sleep Length of Animals Can Vary differently
Elephants Sleep for 3.5 hours, Goats for 5.3 hours, Brown bats for 19 hours, Dogs for 10.1 Hours(Average), Snail can sleep for three years.
“Believing you’ve slept well, even if you haven’t, improves performance.”